Friday, November 19, 2010

Gluing the deck part 1

I glued 3 planks of balsa together for the bottom and upper deck of Valentine surfboard. I did some experiments before to compare the strenght of 2 different glues. I have the Gorilla Glue (GG) and the Titebond III Ultimate Waterproof (TIII), on wood working forums there is some "fight" over which one is the best. I was really concern in choosing the best bond possible for the deck because when it will be glued to the frame the decks will be bend in a lot of directions at the same time resulting in a lot of stress on the joint between the plank!
Most of the guys are using TIII over GG claiming a stronger bond, since I have found this claim more than once I thought following everybody else on that would be the best thing to do... But just for fun I did my self the experiment: I compared the 2 glues. Turn out that GG was stronger than TIII!!!
I glued the same length of the same two pieces of plank that had the same thickness of what will have the deck. I put nearly the same amount of glue for each length and apply the same amount of pressure onto them. 24 hours after I cut in between the 2 different lengths and tried to break the joint. On the length bond with TIII half of it broke with a great amount of force at the join whereas for the other half of the length it's the wood who broke not the join! I was really impress by the strength I had to apply... Now for the length bond with GG I was never able to break the join each time (I have tried at least 3 times) the wood broke... And we have a winner! For me a possible explanation is that the GG require to damp the wood before application therefore limiting the infiltration of the glue into the balsa whereas TIII has been absorbed quite well by the wood diminishing the amount of the glue that will make the bond between the 2 planks.... well I guess!
Now it is time to put the bottom deck onto the frame. To put some pressure I used the cheapest lumbers I could find in my favorite Home Depot: 68 cts for 8 foot. I cut them in half and use them like bows.



I used as well some of the clamps I have made and I tried some cheap forceps (the green ones) turn out that they had too much strength and damaged the balsa...

No comments:

Post a Comment