Sunday, October 24, 2010

Chop chop chop, sand sand sand and sand!

All right I am cutting the balsa pieces! I am using the Dremel Trio, it cuts the wood almost like knife cuts butter. Almost is the big nuance in the sentence… Let say that it is not very difficult to cut but because the Dremel is a rotary tool it make things a little tricky. This rotary movement gives a big willing to the tool to go to some “preset direction”. To make a straight cut you have to fight this willing and find a good angle of progression.









Moreover, because of the density, grain, or whatever this is called changes within the piece of wood, some time I have deviated a bit. I think I didn’t ruin any piece of balsa but I had the feeling of screwing up some part of the job, very unpleasant.

The good thing is I learnt that sanding could smooth everything…when you take the time!
Sanding is going to take a lot of time but it definitely worse it. You can easily see the difference between just cut and cut and sand pieces.





Important piece of advice: please wear a dust masque when cutting and sanding the balsa. The very nasty sawdust goes everywhere and especially in your lungs. I have coughed during half an hour until I finally put this elegant kitchen towel that saves my day! Another thing worse noticing, is the way I glued the paper guide on the wood: I used a (several) glue stick for schools and it worked like a charm. The paper was holding itself up to the time I removed it by just pealing it off. A light sanding with 120 grit on the surface removed any trace of glue.
Please click on the ads that you will find within this blog it will help me to alleviate the spending, thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment